Pastoral education and Child Rights Development
Pastoral education and Child Rights Development is one of the program in IOPA which operate within pastoral communities mainly in Simanjiro & Loongiito (Arusha region) and Same (Kilimanjaro region) districts.
Pastoral Education & Child development works in area of;
a) CRISP- Child Rights and School Improvement Plans.
b) Aflatoun programme- (Child Savings and Financial Education).
c) Child Reporters programme(Children & Media).
d) Vocational Education & Training for the Maasai youth (Oloibrosoit Vocational Training Centre).
The services that are being delivered by IOPA under Pastoral education programme are of twofold:
– Advocating with Government authorities on top of awareness creation amongst Maasai Communities/ families on formal education for Maasai Children.
– Actual delivery of basic education and child development services as well as facilitating access to higher level of education.
1) Facilitation of Enrollment and completion of basic education by Maasai boys and girls increased.
2) Facilitation of Enrollment and completion of vocational training by Maasai youth increased.
3) Employment and self- employment rate amongst Maasai communities increased.
4) Specific objectives for CRiSIP.
5) Promote the active participation of children and parents in school governance from a child right perspective.
6) Support school communities in fulfilling their basic responsibilities in terms of improving enrolment, attendance, and children’s reading, writing and numeric skills.
7) Support communities and schools to develop and implement holistic and realistic plans for improving the school environment, including issues of safety and protection, health, hygiene and general wellbeing of children, teaching and learning processes and outcome, and accountability on these issues to the children and their parents.
8) Support schools and communities to promote gender equity and inclusiveness, eliminate discrimination of children on the basis of their mental and physical abilities and ensure access of children to quality education.
9) To create awareness about the social and economic right of children as stated in article 4 of the convention of the right of the child.
10) To create a culture of saving and financial management amongst children globally. This work involves the implementation of the Aflatoun Programme in education systems worldwide through partnership with local NGOs, Business Companies, government departments and religious institutions .
The program aims at building and improving the quality, quantity and contents of Pastoral education through facilitation of Children rights in school improvement program (CRISIP, Facilitation of child reporters, and support to communities’ social and economic activities as well as implementing child aflatoun program and introduce this programme in Same district where IOPA implements its works.
Pastoral Communities that are advanced educationally, socially and economically in the twenty first century of the third millennium.
Core business and activities;
The core activities for Pastoral Education and Child Rights Development are as described as follows:
1) To drill 4 bore holes in areas where there is no availability of water and supply to nearer school and community to overcome the problem of water in schools.
2) Establish and build 9 early child development centers in Loongiito, Same and Simanjiro.
3) Support school with learning and teaching Materials in Simanjiro , Same and Loongiito.
4) Training community member on the importance of Early child Development.
5) Encourage community member to provide volunteers who will take care of early child development centers.
6 Aflouton Training of Trainer.
7) Introduce Aflotoun, CRISIP and create school management committee in Same District.
8) Introduce /establish Child reporters in Same, Loongiito.
9) Training of SMCs in Simanjiro and Longiido
10) Establish of SMCs in Same and register the cluster.
11) Implement sexual and reproductive health education programme for STD IV – VII . This plan will give opportunity to the above mentioned school children to gain skills and knowledge on sex education and HIV/AIDS prevention and control in making informed decision on their sexual life.
12) Purchase of water tanks and generator where there is no electricity and connection of water supply to the respective schools.
13) Conduct / celebrate the Aflotoun day/ African child day in order to be familiar to children rights.
14) Provide first Aid in respective schools in Simanjiro, Loongiito and Same.
15) Support schools with playing materials, like balls, playing field,
16) Training of Aflotoun teachers in respective school
17) Exchange visit to different Aflotoun schools.
18 Produce and Air Education programme activities with ORS FM
Produce and Air children programme with ORS radio in order to reach outreached children within maasai areas of Same, Simanjiro and Loongiito.
Produce and air TV Programme on Child saving programme
Establish parent self help groups (
Support destitute family children to attend school and provide school uniform, learning material. 15 children from each district within cluster)
19) Training of Aflotoun children clubs on how to keeps financial records ( bookkeeping )
20) Encourage parent to contribute on provision of meals for their children in schools.
Monitoring and Evaluation of Education programme activities in all districts.
21) Sustainable networking with the likeminded organization within and outside the country.
Training of SMC in Same
Introduce solar project in Maasai community so that children will have more time of study during night hours.
22) Lobbying and advocacy on the importance of education within maasai community.
23) Support School Improvement Plan (SIPs) in three district.
Pastoral Communities in Simanjiro, Same and Loongiito are our beneficiaries where as government of Tanzania has the shared responsibility with the community in providing quality education. Specifically, by providing educational policies, curriculum, Teachers, and schools Infrastructures.
i) Community members
iv) Government Education departments
v) Likeminded organization for working closely